The Lilian Cooper Centre is named after Dr Lilian Cooper, the first woman registered as a Medical Practitioner in Queensland.
After studying in the United Kingdom in the late 1800's, Dr Cooper worked as an assistant to a country Practitioner in a rural England.
On the recommendation of a colleague who had visited Australia, Dr Cooper came out to Brisbane in 1891, and commenced her own private medical practice here.
With her professional skill and conscientious devotion to her patients' welfare, she gradually dispelled the public's distrust of a "lady Doctor", building up a successful general and surgical practice, and earned the respect of her male colleagues during her 50 years of medical practice.
During her career Dr Cooper made several trips abroad, working at the Mayo Clinic and the John Hopkins Centre in the United States. In England she undertook special courses in gynaecological studies. She was an honorary surgeon on the staff of the first Mater Misericordiae Hospital in Brisbane (Queensland, Australia) from 1911 to 1914 and an inaugural member of the Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ)
At the outbreak of war in 1914 she resigned from the Mater and joined the Scottish Women's Hospital, serving as a surgeon on the front line in Serbia. Returning to Australia just before the end of WW1, Dr Cooper continued her work until her retirement in 1941. She lived quietly at her home at Kangaroo Point until her death in 1947. She is buried in the Toowong Cemetery in Brisbane. The site of her old home is now that of the Mt Olivet Hospital at Kangaroo Point in Brisbane.
And so, in 1987, Brisbane's first clinic dedicated to women's health was established and opened in Spring Hill, named in memory of this exceptional woman.